Our hope is that one day all children in the United States will attend schools that prepare them for the lives they choose. To fulfill this promise, Turnaround is committed to creating evidence-based tools that work in high-risk settings as well as building awareness for and commitment to broader change.
Develop Tools and Services
We develop tools and services to accelerate healthy student development and academic achievement in schools serving high concentrations of children impacted by adversity. Our tools for practice promote clear and actionable steps that can be used by school leaders and practitioners to cultivate safe and supportive environments strengthen relationships and develop essential skills and mindsets.
Turnaround’s Building Blocks for Learning is an example of a knowledge-based tool. It is a framework that describes the development of essential skills and mindsets students need for success in school and beyond.
We are working to determine effective and scalable approaches for sharing our strategies and services with more schools and students. Our suite of services are created to serve a variety of education systems.
- School Innovation Partnership – work directly with individual schools, embedding a team to build sustainable, healthy conditions for learning and development
- Leadership Team Capacity building – consult with individual schools to provide hands-on support and coaching to their leadership teams so they can train their own staff in Turnaround’s practices
- School Leader Development – offer a set of monthly learning sessions to cohorts of educators to help them effectively diagnose and address challenges in their own schools
- Systems Consulting – partner with system-level leaders to build understanding and urgency around the need to address the impact of adversity on healthy development and learning
We raise awareness about the impact of adversity on learning, build credibility and drive demand for tools and strategies that together accelerate healthy student development and academic achievement. We know that we cannot do this work alone.
By engaging with and learning from districts, sharing knowledge at thought leadership events, participating in research and practice-based collaborations and arming policymakers with evidence-based insights, Turnaround is creating an effective and sustainable plan for scaling tools and services.
- Thought leadership events including Aspen Ideas Festival, Teach for All Summit and American Federation of Teachers Conference
- Media coverage in outlets such as The New York Times, NPR, Ebony and The Atlantic
- Collaborations with researchers, scientists and coalitions, including Harvard University, the American Institutes for Research (AIR), The Science of Learning and Development Initiative; SEAD, America’s Promise and America Forward
- Policy initiatives at the city, state and federal levels